Which Autopilot drive Rotary or Linear?

Paul Osterberg

Last trip we had was in 30-40 knots of tail wind and not to large following sea. The autopilot had to work a lot to keep the course, but it copped very well. My thought was, which system is more robust the rotary- or the linear drive? good to know when we in the future might encounter more severe weather

Before purchasing our Amel SM we inspected a few SM and one owner which I believe had great experience claimed that he use the rotary drive in tougher conditions, as he once broke the connection between the Linear drive and rudder "wheel/quadrant" He thought that was stronger.

Anyone has a opinion/knowledge about this?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259