Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dry dock bilge usage?

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I think that you know the answer to your question...but, if not, review these facts:
  1. That is not really a bilge pump, but rather a gray water sump pump.
  2. Unless something is very wrong with your boat, the only likely thing that could add water to that sump are:
    1. water coming in through the opening in the deck for the chain because the chain locker drains into the sump
    2. condensation draining from a dehumidifier that you might have running while you are away.
  3. The gray water (bilge) pump will not use any current when it is not pumping
  4. Look under your boat and find the two large holes beneath the cockpit. They go directly to the gutter around the engine room hatch. They are hard to find topsides, but are in the aft side of that gutter. Your cockpit will drain.
  5. Unless you have a bad battery in the bank, they will hold most of their charge until you return.
Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 9:05 AM, cloudstreet100@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Tracie & I are returning to the States for 1 - 2 months and have had the boat hauled at the Caicos shipyard in Providenciales.  She is secured in their 'Hurricane Section' which has large cement blocks buried about 8' down for their anchors.

My question is; Should the power to the automatic bilge be left on?  There is no power available to the boat while it's hauled. To conserve the batteries, I'm trying to decide if I should disconnect all of the power at the batteries via the two large red handles or should they be left on so that the bilge can operate?  What happens it the boat gets a large amount of rain during a storm or hurricane when it is secured on dry land?

I know that while in the water if the cockpit is hit with a lot of water it is supposed to evacuate it rapidly,, but I don't know exactly how this is accomplished.

Thank you,

Joe & Tracie

SV CloudStreet, hull 331

Providenciales, TCI