Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Darn Batteries-Link 10

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Be aware that when you use an alternator of that power
you may well need to use 2 belts to drive it. If you
stay with a single belt it is best to be sure it is an
"XL" belt. Also use a bracket that has a positive
method (some sort of jack screw/turn buckle) of
holding belt tension. OH, yes, carry lots of spare
single belts.
Richard SM 209

--- roger_h_banks <roger.banks@mac.com> wrote:

Mea culpa. In this thread, I referred to Trojan
T105s rated as 105 amp hours @ 6 volts.
They are in fact 225Ah @ 6v, giving a capacity over
4 batteries, series & parallel, of 450Ah
@ 12v, a far better setup for cruising. My batteries
were obviously half dead when I
installed the Xantrex Link 20, set to what I thought
was the capacity. These compensating
errors made all seem reasonable .... until the
batteries finally gave up the ghost. None of
this changes the import of the earlier discussion.

Having had a true expert on board to review my
future battery options and exhausting
many possibilities and types, we ended up with, yes,
Trojan T105's. The output of the,
presumably original, house alternator does not seem
to be anywhere near adequate, so I'm
about to embark on installing an Amp Tech 140A @ 12
volts, with an Ample Power SARv3
regulator.

Roger, Mango 28, Zorba

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Roger Banks
<roger.banks@...> wrote:

Dimitris

In the best spirit of friendship, here is a
hyperlink to the "Xantrex
Link 10 Battery Monitor" Owner's Manual. Nothing
in the manual refers
to control or regulation and, having personally
installed a Xantrex,
I can confirm there is no such function in mine.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/72/docserve.asp

Here is a link to a sample Mastervolt, the Alpha
Pro, which is a 3-
step charge regulator. Different beast altogether.

http://www.mastervolt.com/defaultC.asp?gr=Regulators

Hope this all helps Tony with his issue.

Regards, Roger, Mango 28, Zorba

On 13/03/2007, at 7:18 PM, Krassopoulos Dimitris
wrote:

I do not agree that the Link 10 does not control
anything. It
controls the
voltage cut off for sure so if it is not
adjusted correctly the
batteries
will never be charged the same applies also as
you mention for the
bank
capacity. So in any case the Link 10 or
Mastervolt have to be