Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

Thanks Bill.  I will use the meter to check masthead voltage.  I did try an LED but it too failed in 60 days.  So far only anchor light has frequent failures.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Sep 5, 2016, at 9:03 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We had the same issue years ago and never determined what the problem was, but when we replaced it with an LED, the problem went away. Once I read that some incandescent bulbs will operate less than full life if the voltage is greater than or less than 10% of the bulb's rating. I can't find that reference, but that could be the cause, or a bad batch. Next time you are up there, bring a multi-meter and check the voltage. It that is the issue, an LED will solve the problem because of its wide range of voltage. I would also coat the new bulb base with corrosionX to ensure good contact, but the problem could be where the wires connect to the mast-top fixture.

Bill
BeBe, 387
Trinidad

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:22 AM, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Since we bought our SM last year (Feb 2015) we've  replaced the anchor light bulb 5 times.  The boat was little used - fewer than 800 hours on engine and generator - and we've  had only the usual maintenance issues which makes this issue most perplexing.  We're trying to determine what could cause premature bulb failures.  I've suspected a bad batch of bulbs; a surge in the electrical when running the generator; or perhaps corroded fitting causing an on/off for the bulb thereby shortening their life.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Also it would wonderful to have a source for high quality bulbs.

Thanks
Ben and Gayle
La Bella Vita
SM 347