Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

This failure is anchor light only; only motor running is genset.  My suspicion is voltage surge while generator is running or an issue with fixture.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Sep 5, 2016, at 9:05 AM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ben and Gayle,

  That is an odd problem.  It seems that if you were having a large voltage surge that it would affect other bulbs as well.  Could it be that you have a resonant vibration atop the spar when running the engine at a certain RPM’s and the vibration is causing the bulb to fail?  This is just a guess of course.

Best,

James

Sueno, Maramu #220
On Sep 5, 2016, at 12:22 PM, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Since we bought our SM last year (Feb 2015) we've  replaced the anchor light bulb 5 times.  The boat was little used - fewer than 800 hours on engine and generator - and we've  had only the usual maintenance issues which makes this issue most perplexing.  We're trying to determine what could cause premature bulb failures.  I've suspected a bad batch of bulbs; a surge in the electrical when running the generator; or perhaps corroded fitting causing an on/off for the bulb thereby shortening their life.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Also it would wonderful to have a source for high quality bulbs.

Thanks
Ben and Gayle
La Bella Vita
SM 347