Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ben,

When you measure the voltage, measure it at the mast top and at the junction located outside the forward berth behind the Velcro'd panel.

It should be the same. I would guess that the set screws clamping the wire to the fixture might be the source of corrosion issues, rather than the wire. Amel uses some really good wire in the mast that will likely last 25 years or more.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

This failure is anchor light only; only motor running is genset.  My suspicion is voltage surge while generator is running or an issue with fixture.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Sep 5, 2016, at 9:05 AM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ben and Gayle,

  That is an odd problem.  It seems that if you were having a large voltage surge that it would affect other bulbs as well.  Could it be that you have a resonant vibration atop the spar when running the engine at a certain RPM’s and the vibration is causing the bulb to fail?  This is just a guess of course.

Best,

James

Sueno, Maramu #220
On Sep 5, 2016, at 12:22 PM, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Since we bought our SM last year (Feb 2015) we've  replaced the anchor light bulb 5 times.  The boat was little used - fewer than 800 hours on engine and generator - and we've  had only the usual maintenance issues which makes this issue most perplexing.  We're trying to determine what could cause premature bulb failures.  I've suspected a bad batch of bulbs; a surge in the electrical when running the generator; or perhaps corroded fitting causing an on/off for the bulb thereby shortening their life.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Also it would wonderful to have a source for high quality bulbs.

Thanks
Ben and Gayle
La Bella Vita
SM 347