Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Hello Ben,

Peregrinus never had a Hydra processor but its B&G Zeus2 is able to measure supply voltage.

We have alarms set on the Zeus2 at 23V for low and at 30V for high; the only problem is that the Zeuses must be on for this to work.

A half-workaround is to have the Furuno RD-30 that came with the boats of our generation permanently display the voltage; the voltage measurement is native to the Furuno, so nothing else has to be on. I have set mine to display voltage, depth, and windspeed, and I like its big, easy to read numbers over the Mastervolt display, which is somewhat dim.

Cheerio,

SM2K No. 350 (2002)
At anchor, Sant'Angelo – Ischia

---In amelyachtowners@..., <joedoakes66@...> wrote :

As you may know the B&G Hydro 2000 can measure voltage.  And my 2000 inputs into Zeus II which has alarms set to 23 and 29 volts.  I often trip low voltage alarm when using the bow thruster.  However, on two occasions I tripped high voltage - 29 volts - momentarily. The generator was running and charger operating.  Perhaps this occasional higher voltage can shorten bulb life?  But so far only one bulb - the anchor light - is short-lived.  It makes me think it must be the fixture.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Sep 7, 2016, at 5:33 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I believe that the charging voltage is, 28.8 absorption and 32+ equalization, transmitted to the Masthead lights.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Sep 7, 2016, at 4:14 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

No I don't think so....you can't get voltage surges with a big battery bank.

IF it could possibly happen you'd be having all sorts of issues with lamps and other 24VDC devices.
The ONLY way you MIGHT have an issue with this would be if you used the EQUALISE cycle on your battery charger while the masthead light was on. The EQUALISE cycle raises the voltage to around 32VDC for a while, but that is something you would rarely do, possibly only if you had flooded batteries that you suspected of being sulphated, and if you know about equalising batteries, you would also know to turn off anything on the DC circuit before starting to do it.
Its much more likely that you have bad connections, salt water ingress into the lamp holder.....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437