Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Joker Valve

karkauai

Hmmm.  That's on the intake side, the joker valves being on the output side.  I have a strainer between the stopcock and the pump.  I'll have to look to see if it has a one way valve as well.
Thanks.
I have made a practice of filling the head with fresh water every few months or when ever I  leave the boat for a week or more, and putting some vegetable oil in before flushing it down.  I read somewhere that it helps keep the joker valves supple.  I also ask the crew to flush for a good 10 seconds after using the head to get all debris and urine out of the discharge pipe.  I have to change joker valves about twice a year with this regimen.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

Kent Robertson
828-234-6819 voice/text

On Sep 12, 2016, at 9:35 AM, Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

On the hose from the sea cock. It is usual to have a loop in the flexible pipe taking it above the heeled water line. There is usually  plastic 'u' bend clamped on to the up and down pipes to form the u shape. This bend should have a small screw cap (like a car tyres valve). Inside is a tiny rubber non return valve. It allows air into the pipework to prevent the motion of the boat pumping sea water back up the pipe until it siphons back into the toilet.

Ian