rudder packing

Giovanni TESTA

To all,
I'm on the way to replace the rudder packing...too much leakage after turning the nut twice.
I have removed the big white nut, not the hold packing,
The issue is that now I see on the bottom a white ring without any cut on it, as my new packing rings have.
It seams to me very hard and difficult to remove.
Before to do any damage drilling it to fix 2 screw and to pull it out
I wish to know if you had similar experience.
I know the previous posts about it ( by Bill and Richard )
Thanks so much for your support....the day after tomorrow I have to return on the water.
Giovanni TESTA
sv EUTIKIA SM 428
La Reunion