Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Illustration of the Lofrans Tigres Windlass Overhaul

Stephen Davis

Hi Alexandre,

We found new motors for the Tigres Windlass at Le Ship in Martinique for 550 euros this year. The cost is closer to the $1200 if purchased in the USA.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Grenada

On Sep 13, 2016, at 09:56, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

For the new owners like myself who are intimidated by maintenance they have not performed yet, I illustrated the “Lofrans Tigres Windlass Overhaul”

If I understood correctly, Amel said it was not necessary.
So why did I do it? For the simple reason, that 3 years ago I read an article (by Harry Hungate saying to change the outside seals every 4 years) and purchased at that time 4 complete set of bearings, oil seal, o ring, etc. so instead to keep the parts unused I decided to use them.

With the complications I encountered: seized bolt, broken bolt, etc. it took me 6 half days (30 hours).

1/2 day to unbolt the windlass, 1 bolt alone took 4 hours.
1/2 day to put apart, had to use an extractor on 1 bolt
1/2 day to unsuccessfully open the electric motor to see the brushes… gave up.
1/2 day to clean all the parts
1/2 day to reassemble (didn’t work as expected)
1/2 day to put back together

I feel that regularly maintained, this could be done in 2 half days (10 hours).

Not to be able to inspect the brushes on the electric motor really upset me:
In 2012, when I had the vessel surveyed (prior to purchase), one of the Switch on the Windlass was not working.
A “professional” was hired to change it, changed the Switch but didn’t bother telling me there was rust on the electric motor.
Possibly at the time I could have taken measure to stop the rust.
Another reminder that we should always supervise the work.
This error, means that when the brushes run out, instead to spend the $78 for new ones, I likely will have to spend $1220 (plus shipping) for a new Electric motor 1200 Watt 24 Volt (Lofran part#418b or Imtra part LWP8252)

Anyway, back to the illustration:

Please do not hesitate to comment, especially if I made error, as this can only be beneficial for our group.

For example:
I am not sure is: Part 15 - Pictures 123 to 128
Since this partially in the Oil, I am not sure i should have put grease.
Since I did, is this going to conflict?

Part 28 - Picture 257 I don’t know why there is a metallic layer on the electric wire of the Chain Counter “Eye” / Sensor
But the sensor works fine.

Since I had to redo the “basic” greasing of the shaft, I took better pictures on Part 30

Here is the link:
http://nikimat.com/lofrans_tigres_windlass_overhaul.html

They are 302 pictures… so I decided in 32 Sections.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico