[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Dual Racor 500 facts or myths?

Judy Rouse

According to the Racor information supplied with the adapters, the
rubber spacer is required for those units which have a "flat top
surface" on the cross bar at the base of the standpipe. This
description is not very clear to me yet as I have not looked inside
the filter unit.

I believe that the primary source of the confusion is that Racor
decided to change the filter unit and then change the filter elements
without changing the element part number. I have been told that
complete information is on their website, but buried deeply. I have
searched their website and have not been able to locate the
information. You may be able to get more information if you can call
their 800 number at 800-344-3286.

One thing that troubles me is that I met a Beneteau owner yesterday.
He ordered and received delivery of a new Beneteau including a factory
installed dual Racor in 2004. He says that his dual Racor is the
older model and he has to use the adapters. This worries me.
Fortunately, I have obtained some adapters from another cruiser and I
still have a supply of the older red/orange filters, so I will not
have an issue until that supply depletes.

Regards,

Bill Rouse
s/v BeBe anchored Isla Margarita, VZ
SM2 #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, svmalaika@... wrote:

Thanks for the Racor filter information. Our dual Racor was
installed by
AMEL in 2005, but I am not sure when it was built. The brown 2
micron filters we
use do not appear to go down below the standpipe hole. Is it obvious
from
visual inspection when the filter slides too low, or is it more
subtle?

Regards,

Charlie & Ruth
MALAIKA II, SM 336