Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM Jib Furler Failure.

karkauai

Just shooting from the hip here Bill, I've not heard of a failure like that before.  Glad you were able to get it furled manually...did you have the manual furler set up already?
Certainly corrosion the most likely culprit, but why such catastrophic failure?  1.  Could there have been some stray current involved?  2.  I'm sure it should be attached to the bonding system, if that failed, it might not have been protected.  The aluminum would go b4 the SS.  I couldn't keep paint on my furler despite two "professional" paint jobs.  I finally took it apart and had it powder coated 3 years ago and so far looks great.

Could the bolts have been tightened too much creating cracks that allowed water ingress?

Will be interested to hear what you find.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Sep 22, 2016, at 10:58 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

In the SM jib furler, there is an aluminum plate that transfers the torque from the motor to the foil via the release pin.  It has one large hole in it that accepts the release pin, and smaller holes which take machine screws down into the rotating part of the motor.

Yesterday while sailing in 20 to 25 knots of wind, close-hauled, with the jib rolled up to its second reef mark, that plate self destructed, cracking into several pieces releasing the jib foil from the furler motor.  I am happy to report the manual furling system does work, after a fashion.

I haven’t had the chance to disassemble things yet to see if other damage occurred as well which might have either caused, or been caused by, the plate failure.

Anybody see this failure before? Other than it’s old and showed signs of corrosion, which is certainly sufficient to be the primary cause, anybody have another potential cause I should look out for?

Bill Kinney

SM#160, Harmonie

Chesapeake Bay, VA, USA