From: Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Sep 22, 2016 12:33 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bonding

Pat, if the hull potential is different from the drive than from the engine and everything else, it isn't connected well to the rest of the bonding system.  Normally you would see a better reading at the engine than at the drive.  If you don't have a prop zinc, I can't explain the findings.  If you have two problems, a bad connection at the rudder, and a bad connection at the drive, they would read differently.  If you have a prop zinc it could be protecting the drive but the rudder zincs not protecting the rest of the boat.
Get in the engine room with your multitester and look for resistance between all bonded parts and the strap, including the rudder post.  There should be essentially no resistance between all bonded equipment.
To check the zinc connection to the rudder, you have to haul the boat out and run a wire from the rudder post to the zincs and check resistance.

Does that make sense?  If not, please chime in!

Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Sep 22, 2016, at 11:58 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kristy, Why do you think the drive connection has failed , if it shows Like -1000mv , I may have left off the - in my email , is that why? I guess the engine can be bonded to the zincs without being grounded ? I have no prop zinc , and don't understand how the strap and the Cdrive are so different in their reading.
Thanks ,
Pat