Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] bow roller and turn

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

James,

Like you point out, a boat that spends time in water that is cooler, and/or less salty will have rigging with a longer life due to slower corrosion rates.  Rigging that is kept tuned well and not subject to shock loading will workharden slower and live longer.  Roller swages, especially those by inexperienced operators or made on poorly maintained equipment, are subject to higher rates of premature failure compared to good rotary hammer swages. 316L rigging will corrode slower than 316, although it starts out a bit lower in strength.

All those things are true, but not usefully quantifiable. Good, sophisticated, and experienced riggers who have seen failures, and looked at lots of old rigs and seen what goes wrong and how fast, are the best source of recommendations for replacement times.  Ten years for tropics, 15 for temperate, and maybe 20 for freshwater seem to be the industry standard, conservative, numbers.  Of course nobody's rig falls down when it is 10 years and one day old.  But risk increases quickly as time goes on.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Reedville, VA, Chesapeake Bay, USA

On Sep 24, 2016, at 05:18, lokiyawl2 lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,
   I agree with your points and even 15 years in the tropics would bother me.  One exception seems to be boats used partial seasons well up North such as Canada or freshwater boats where the corrosion rates are much slower.  I have also found some huge variability in the quality of wire and fittings with some failing at only 3-4 years (usually cracks in the rolled swage).  Rigging is not a good place to try and save a few dollars IMO.

James Alton
SV Sueno, Maramu #220

Sent from Samsung tablet.

From: "Richard03801 richard03801@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 9/23/16 19:09 (GMT+01:00)

Hi while you are spraying put a few drops on each turn buckel.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing
Capt Richard Piller
Newport RI
Cell 603 767 5330

On Sep 23, 2016, at 09:37, lokiyawl2 lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

   I appreciate your experienced input.  I will begin spraying the penetrating oil up into the joint between the motor housing and the tube as you suggested.  This will give me over two weeks of soaking before the boat is hauled.  I will go ahead and order a set of bearings in addition to the items listed. I will also order the Amel tool if you think it would be helpful.

  I just wanted to add that I am now really glad that I bought an Amel with the bow thruster, it is such a help with stern in Med moorings.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno #220
Sardinia, Italy