freshwater toilet flush

drdavegoodman

Greetings all;
I am installing Jabsco electric quiet flush heads on a 1998 SM and
researching freshwater vs salt water flush. I have received
conflicting info on this topic and hope that someone has some
experience they can share. Amel recommended I use the 24v Jabsco
electric quite flush connected to saltwater. These require a
pressurized water intake system, minimum 3.5 GPM. If I use the
existing sea water connection, I must install a pressure pump for each
head. If I tap into the freshwater system going to the sinks and
showers, this is already pressurized, and I do not need to install an
additional pump. There are many advantages to using freshwater vs
seawater. However there are 2 main concerns that I can see (1)
depleting your freshwater with flushing and (2) freshwater system
contamination. The first concern is answered by the fact that our
boat has a watermaker that can easily keep up with demand, and the
boat carries 1000 liters (about 250 gallons?) of water. The second
concern is answered by use of the electric solenoid valve in the
freshwater intake line (placed near the toilet, about 6 inches above
the toilet intake)which eliminates the possibility of
back-contamination. Any advise in this matter would be greatly
appreciated.
Dave on Bel Ami

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "John & Ruth Martin"
<jjmartin24@...> wrote:

Hello All

Has anyone with an SM connected their toilets to the ship's fresh water
supply ? I have studied the plumbing and it seems it would be easy. I
would cut the salt water intake hose for the toilets and insert a
valve.
Then I would cut the fresh water hose (before it goes to the pump)
and place
a valve there with a hose teed to the salt water intake. I would
then cut
off the salt water and open the fresh water. This would make the
toilets
smell fresher and be less corrosive to the toilet components than salt
water. If berthed at a marina with abundant fresh water, it seems
like
this would be a good idea, especially if in a dirty harbor. When going
cruising, I could easily convert back to the salt water flush. I would
welcome any comments.

Also, in reading up on the SM, I've found a little known problem
regarding
the proper lifting points (when using straps, not hooking to the
lifting
eyes) for the boat. It appears that the proper place for the aft
lifting
straps is exactly where the aft lifting eye is located; but the
proper place
for the forward lifting strap is aligned with the hatch of the
forward head,
not aligned with the forward lifting eye. If you position the
forward strap
at the forward eye, you can easily damage the speedo unit, which is
aligned
with the forward eye. Some SM owners have mysteriously developed leaks
around their speedos and this may be the reason.

Lastly, a pointer I just discovered using naval jelly. I've had
amazing
results using naval jelly to clean up stainless and chrome items like
fishing reels, diving equipment, turnbuckles, etc. I apply the
naval jelly,
scrub with a toothbrush, let sit for 10 minutes, and the pieces turn
out
like brand new !

Happy New Year to all,

John Martin