Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SSB Antenna

Mark Erdos

Paul,

When I installed my SSB I opted to add a fiberglass antenna. This is the way the Amel factory does it. I think the logic is that if you ever lose the rig you (might) still have a SSB antenna. And, adding isolators is adding another potential failure point of the rigging.

There are not really performance issues with either method.

Another option is to use a GAM / McKim Split Lead Antenna. These have now been around long enough to have been field tested and offer reliable performance. Had I known about this product before installing the antenna, I would have gone this route. It is also fully insulated to prevent shock (as Kent described). Here is a link:

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|344|2028695|2029059&id=332511

Something else you may consider if you installed a SSB with DSC and auto distress calling. The DSC requires a separate antenna. For this, I used an antenna splitter and used the whether-fax antenna on the triatic stay.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for hurricane season

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:40 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] SSB Antenna

I have installed a SSB radio, currently only using a lose cable as antenna. Now I concidder using one of the twin backstay as antenna by installing two insulators. Is there any pit falls or anything special to concidder before proceeding?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 currently in Teneriffe

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.