From: 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners Sent: Mon, Oct 17, 2016 8:32 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge / Sump pump

This thread is an appropriate place to praise Amel and specifically Henri Amel for quality of the components selected for Amel Yachts. It seems to me that he picked each and every component based on the best available. When he felt that there were no satisfactory components available, he made them.

Of course when these original components reach the end-of-life, the current owner has a choice of rebuilding and/or replacing the original equipment with the exact or similar item...OR...replacing the component with something less.

The two freshwater pumps that I am familiar with that Amel has used in the last 25 years cost 600 and 1,000 euros respectively. The Jabsco "on demand" freshwater pump costs around 200 euro. It is your boat and it is your choice to downgrade from what Amel installed. When I am helping someone looking to buy an Amel, these are some of the first things that I look at to form an opinion of the boat.

BTW, BeBe has a Jabsco on demand freshwater pump. Its purpose is to install instead of the AMFA pump if that pump fails and needs rebuilding. I have never installed it. BeBe also has a Shurflo anchor-wash pump to install if the Amel-installed anchor-wash pump fails and needs rebuilding...I have never installed it, either.

Thanks, Henri.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill, I never knew what was the original pump. I suspected it was not the Jabsco.
Thanks,
Pat

Date: Sunday, October 16, 2016, 8:44 AM

I have a Jabsco sump pump and have
found it unreliable . The motor works fine , I have replaced
everything and it still fails to pump water from the bilge
every time. I have replaced the joker and flap valves and I
have a check valve , but I think over time the pump slowly
loses its prime and becomes air bound , when not used for
some time. I have thought about buying a new one and hope
it works better . I have looked everywhere and cannot find
it . I assume all SMs have the same pump , can someone tell
me where I can purchase a new one. Has anyone replaced it
with something more reliable
?Thanks,Pat SM