Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge / Sump pump

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat,
I have wondered about that as a solution too. They are much lower cost. I wonder if they could handle the bits and pieces. If there was an electric version of the manual pump that would be my choice for obvious reasons, ie it is so trouble free.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Wednesday, 19 October 2016 12:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge / Sump pump

Danny , Yes my manual pump works great. My foot valve does not leak, at least while I am watching ,over a long time it may.I do not have the original pump , I have a Jabsco , which looks inferior to the original pump. I was wondering if anyone had installed a base and a submersible mounted perhaps a foot above the bottom , occassionally using the manual one to pump out the muck.
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, Oct 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi Pat.
Try taking the suction pipe off the pump. Is it full? If not, fill it and see if it stays full. Of course if its not full the foot valve is leaking. The fill and watch will just confirm this.
I have the original pump. If the foot valve is working ie no leak allowing the water in the suction to go down at all, the pump is always full. I struggled trying to fix things at the pump. Now at last I have a foot valve that works and the pump does too. One thing I did was shorten the suction to get it higher above the sediment that gets into the sump and my problems have been much le ss since. Foot valves don't like bits of stuff stuck it them when they try to close.
However I wish it would self prime like the manual one does. It doesn't even have a foot valve and yet primes perfectly every time and it cheerfully pumps all the muck from the bottom.
Cheers
Danny

From: "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Tuesday, 18 October 2016 12:34 AM

Danny, As far as  can determine the foot valve is not leaking, however over a long time it may . I have tried to seal and clamp the hoses as tight as possible. It has always been unreliable .
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: simms simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: Amel Owners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sun, Oct 16, 2016 2:14 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge / Sump pump

Hi pat. I battled the bilge pump forever. The key is the foot valve. If you can stop that leaking so the pipe stays full you should have no more trouble. Also ensure there are no leeks in the suction pipe.
Cheers
Danny
SM 299 ocean pearl
Sent from my Vodafone Smart
On Oct 17, 2016 2:44 AM, "sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have a Jabsco sump pump and have found it unreliable . The motor works fine , I have replaced everything and it still fails to pump water from the bilge every time. I have replaced the joker and flap valves and I have a check valve , but I think over time the pump slowly loses its prime and becomes air bound , when not used for  some time. I have thought about buying a new one and hope it works better . I have looked everywhere and cannot find it . I assume all SMs have the same pump , can someone tell me where I can purchase a new one. Has anyone replaced it with something more reliable ?
Thanks,
Pat SM #123

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.