Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] companionway door slot & hurricane Matthew

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Duane,

The water you found does not drain into the engine room. If water gets into the compartment under the companionway, you have to pump it out, or suck it out with a wet vac.

I am going to take a guess that the insulation is wet near the pump on the wall above the gray water bilge...the pump that pumps out the gray water. Go down there and look closely in that area while someone else flushes each of the toilets. There is an anti-siphon loop near that pump. It will get encrusted with salt and spray the wall.

That's my first guess, if this is not the source, check hose clamps on everything in the area. And watch the area with systems running like AC, toilet water pumps, freshwater pump and the watermaker. You could have a high pressure pinhole leak in a watermaker hose.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Oct 19, 2016 4:41 PM, "sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

After hurricane Mathew we noticed that the companionway door slot had a substantial amount of water in it.  I poked around with a wire and was unable to find a drain hole.  Can someone tell me where the drain is?  (Port, STBD, or in the middle?)

This might answer why I have wet sound insulation on the engine room FWD bulkhead, seemingly all the time.  I thought I had found the reason when we noticed the dishwasher (which we never use) had sinkwater backed up into it.  We eliminated the dishwasher.

If there is another reason for the wet sound insulation, please educate me!

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477