Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 55' Amel

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

James, to set the record straight I do not own a 55 however I've done a lot of miles as a captain.  They
Point high in the low
30's run will down wind. The relocation of the batteries, water tanks, and fuel tanks with the associated hull/keel change make then a faster more comfortable cruiser. There is a fair amount of interior flexibility in the configuration and appointments.
Best of luck with your MARAMU they too are wonderful yachts. Well a head of their time when they were built.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing
Capt Richard Piller
Newport RI
Cell 603 767 5330

On Oct 23, 2016, at 12:41, lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Richards,

    I am very glad to hear that you are so happy with your Amel 55.  While that boat is out of my cruising budget, it is great to know that Amel is still building boats that make owners happy.  The ongoing success of Amel is important I think to all of us.

   As someone who is familiar with sailing the 46, 53 and now the 55,  I was hoping that you could make some general comparisions between the models based on your own opinion of course.

   I am just getting to know my Maramu and have not yet sailed any of the other models, though I have sailed alongside two Super Maramus so the input would be of interest to me.  With regards to the Maramu,  I was truly expecting to have to make some significant sacrifices in performance and handling based on my previous boat but I have been very pleasantly surprised with the Maramu in both areas.   Sailing out of Oblia this month with the wind aft and gusting to over 40, the boat was hitting 9.6 in flat water and well over 10 after the waves built up a little and she began to surf...and it was all quite comfortable.   It is clear of course that the pointing ability will not be the best, but it is acceptable and most of my sailing will be with the wind aft of the beam.   The handling of the Maramu is what surprised me the most.  The turning radius is very good, the boat carries very well,  rudder response is excellent at very low speeds with almost no tendency for the bow to blow off.  I am looking forward to sailing some of the other designs in the future.

   The lines of both the Super Maramu and the Santorin suggest an improvement in performance over the Maramu which would be expected with the evolution of the design and it sounds like the 55 is another step up in that area.  For myself,  I am quite happy with the Maramu due to the great handling, the fantastic storage under all of the bunks since all of the water is in the bilge and the moderate disp/length ratio of 276 which though a little lighter than I am used to but the motion is still quite nice on the boat.   I know nothing of the 55 but I cannot imagine anyone not being happy with any of the Amel designs that I have looked at.

Best,

James Alton

SV Sueno
Maramu #220