Re: Instal AC / Genset on Santorin

Hello Trevor,
On our Santorin we have a 6kw Northern Lights generator (we run it at 110v or you can run it at 4.8kw @ 220v). We also have a 110v, 18,000 Btu A/C.  The Genset is just to port of the main engine - still lots of access room.  The A/C compressor is on a shelf to the port side of the engine room that I suspended from the bottom of the lazarette locker. It is a split system with a 12K BTU condenser/fan unit in the dinette seat locker, ducted to the main salon bulkhead, the head and the forward cabin, plus a 6K BTU unit on the shelf over the fuel tank that is ducted into the aft cabin. All have been working without problems for 12 years now (7000 hours on the genset). Also run a 20 gph water maker at 110v with high pressure pump in engine room and controls / membrane on the shelf over the fuel tank. And we have a 110v refrigerator with holding plates - split system with refrigeration under galley counter where original refrig and dry storage area was and freezer under salon dining table where original wine storage used to be. While cruising full time it takes about 45 minutes of generator running each morning and evening to freeze the holding plates, charge batteries and make water. This summer we ran the generator all night at anchor a few nights for A/C as it was so bloody hot in the US and we're too cheap to pay for a marina.
Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris