RE : [Amel Yacht Owners] Bolting Hull Deck Joint

Serge Tremblay <laetitiaii@...>

Dear John & Annie,

I just completed two years of sailing from continental France to the Caribean, where my Mango was set on the hard until the end of the hurricane season.

In 2005 I sailed in pretty nasty 40 to 45kn weather off Ibiza for many hours.

This year I experienced a very shaking crosssing of the Atlantic in March with crossed swell and waves for almost all of the 19 days. I broke the two short whisker pole or struts ("Tangonets" in French, that had been rebuilt in France in 2005) as well as one spinaker pole as the result of unexpected huge waves. The The boat rolled and pitched for weeks.

When the mango was put ashore a few weeks ago, after taking the masts down, a thorought examination of the hull and deck revealed absolutely no dammage. Aside from the poles the only other dammage resulting from this rough crossing was a weakening baby stay on the main mast. Last week the hull was also examined by an independant surveyor, and the rigging by a professional rigger and declared in good condition.

My conclusion is that the hull to deck joint on a Mango is pretty sturdy and I have never heard that it would benefit from any bolting!

Serge Tremblay, V/ Opera, Mango#51

anniemno1 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> a écrit :
We are continuing the endless process of rebuilding Annie M, Mango #1.

We are now working on the hull to deck ("HTD") joint.

According to David Gerr in his book,

"The Elements of Boat Strength"

the HTD joint should be through-bolted with bolts determined

by calcualating ones scantling number. (LOA X Beam X Depth of
Hull)/1000.

Great, the number is about 8 for the Mango and calls for bolts every
11

inches or so.

Our questions are: 1. why are there no bolts in our HTD joint?

2. Do any Amels have HTD bolts? 3. If not, why not? 4. Has anyone
experienced opening of the HTD joint in heavy weather or separation
of tabbing because of flexing? 5. How is the AMEL 54 HTD joint made?

Best Regards,

John and Annie
Annie M
Mango #1