Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Radar Target Enhancer (RTE) - active X & S band

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Martin,

I believe the only reason to have a active radar enhancer is because you do not have an active AIS transponder, but with the price and benefits of AIS, I would never choose one over AIS. AND, an active radar enhancer will only enhance you as a radar target, but you will not receive enhanced radar returns.

If someone already has an AIS transponder and wants more, I suppose it will not hurt, but the number one problem that I see with an active radar enhancer is that you will never know when it is not transmitting properly. It does not take long to know if AIS is working properly.

When I wired our AMEC CAMINO AIS transponder, I used NMEA input from the GPS, eliminating the additional GPS antenna, and the AM/FM antenna on a Super Maramu for the antenna. I have a experienced about 12-18 miles transmission and about 25-30 miles reception. I bought a automobile flexible AM/FM antenna for the radio which lives inside the electronics drawer...works fine.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Martin K luvkante@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Why would you need this, if you have an active AIS?

Martin
S/Y CHIARA
Amel 54 #149

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 31.10.2016 um 22:51 schrieb eamonn.washington@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>:

I currently only have the original octahedral metal radar reflector at the top of the mizzen mast.

I read many reviews and almost decided to get a good passive radar reflector, such as Echomax EM230.

Finally it seems to me, the advantages of an active (draws power to amplify the radar returned singal) reflector or RTE to be the way to go.  Besides sending a far superior returned radar signal, you are also alerted by visual and/or audio alarms when you are 'pinged'.

X-band radar is used by smaller ships (from 300T ?) as well as on Amels, etc.  Larger ships (> 3000T ?) use S-band offshore; they possibly may turn off their X band offshore.

All of this leads to my choice: Echomax Active-XS dual band RTE, and my question, where/how to mount it?

Has anyone already mounted this or the similar Active-X RTE already?  Possibilities are:
- in front of the mizzen above the radar, possibly best place (but being close to the mast cou ld affect performance)
- top of mizzen, but then will be pinged by very distant over the horizon ships, which I read is annoying at night (due to alarm alert)
- suspended between main mast spreaders (I am afraid it might be hit by the Furuno X-band radar on board)
- suspended between the mizzen backstays, so it can swing a bit to stay mostly vertical

Any experience welcome.  Echomax has 2 versions of the Active-XS; one has a base mount, the other has 2 end caps with eyes for suspending between spreaders or backstays.  For the base mount, the XS Ocean bracket could be used to mount forward of the mizzen.  Has anyone tried this & does this stainless steel mount fit the mizzen of a Super Maramu?

Thanks
Eamonn
SM #151 Travel Bug