Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Radar Target Enhancer (RTE) - active X & S band

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Assuming that you are discussing International waters, COLREGS Rule 7 Risk of collision requires: "(All) Vessels must use all available means to determine the risk of a collision, including the use of radar (if available) to get early warning of the risk of collision by radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of detected objects. (e.g. ARPA, AIS)."

In short, this means that if any vessel has any aids to navigation to prevent a collision, that vessel and crew are required to use all of them. If you have a radar reflector and don't hoist it, or if you have radar and don't have it on you are in violation of Rule 7.

I hope this helps you...there are a lot of myths and non-truths told and retold by many sailors.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:51 PM, eamonn.washington@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi

I don't know how true it is or not, but I read in several places that ships are not obliged to monitor AIS, besides to have it available on a small screen.  But they are obliged to monitor radar, and for larger ships radar is recorded for eventual investigations, so special attention is paid to it.

In the meantime, John from Echomax said mounting the Active-XS unit near to the side of a mast is a bad idea.  It must either be on top of a mast or suspended between spreaders or backstays.

Martin, I think a good place for passive radar reflectors is above the radar on the mizzen mast, about mid-way between radar and top.

Regards
Eamonn
SM #151 Travel Bug