From: "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 11-05-2016 11:38 AM (GMT-04:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Housing

Nameless, Since you asked , how to rebuild , I assume you would like to do this yourself , otherwise you could let a fabricator determine how to. If you had access to a similar boat on the hard , then making a female mold would make it fairly simple. I would tape a sheet of wax paper to the bottom of the bowthruster , then apply two layers of fiberglass and resin , trim the edges to match . Using that as a female mold , you would then lay up several layers of fiberglass to the appropriate thickness , making note of what the interior of the panel looks like. You did not say if the struts on either side of the prop were damaged, if damaged repairs would be done to return them to original condition. I would probably then reinstall the thruster , dry fit the new panel up against the struts to check fit. If the fit is good , I would take accurate measurements from all sides of opening to determine placement and/or possibly apply something on the bottom of the s truts , paint or powder ,reposition the panel to transfer location of struts to panel. I would then only tab them into place and recheck position , if happy ,epoxy the struts to the panel followed by several layers of fiberglass on all sides of the struts/panel. Any imperfections in the panel can be filled with thicken epoxy and can be sanded . If no other boat was available , I would probably use the hull immediately aft of the thruster hole ,tape the wax paper and make a female mold the appropriate length and width , this would give you a close but slightly flatter panel that you sand to take out the extra material ,until happy with fit.
Pat SM #123