Re: Lightning--in general

sbmesasailor

During our circumnavigation, we've encountered numerous lightning storms.  The thing about lightning is it is rarely sneaks up on you.  If you don't hear it, you see it (storm noted on the radar and then you see the bolts as you watch it close in on you) long before it reaches you.  That gives you plenty of time to take precautions -such as already noted here -placing vital redundant electronic widgets (gps, vhf, etc.) in the oven.  We do indeed fear being hit (hasn't happened yet) but only because of the inevitable down time and insurance entanglements of recovery.  We look at it as any other weather obstacle we have to be prepared for.

Dennis Johns
s/v Libertad
Granada