Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Antenna Mystery

Jean Boucharlat

Formerly SM 232

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: mardi 8 novembre 2016 22:43
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Antenna Mystery

We recently noticed that our VHF could not be heard for more than about half a kilometer. This prompted the usual investigations, and I believe a bad connector at the base on the main mast was the culprit. All seems well for now.

While investigating I noticed that we have two "VHF" type antennas on the main mast: one for the VHF, and one for FM radio (so labeled by the Amel grey sleeve over the wire). However, there is also a "VHF" appearing antenna on the mizzen. We do have a triatic stay antenna and a stern whip antenna for SSB and SSB weatherfax, but this is clearly a VHF appearing antenna on the mizzen.

In tracing the mizzen wiring, a cable that looks like it could be coaxial comes down the mast, but I could not trace it further without much difficulty. It is labeled with the Amel factory style grey sleeve, reading "MAROCAIN".

Consulting my French to English dictionary, MAROCAIN translates as "Moroccan" (citizen of Morocco).

Two questions:

Any idea about the mystery label "MAROCAIN"?

What is the VHF style antenna on the mizzen?

Thanks as always,

Tom Peacock

SM Aletes #240

St Augustine, Florida