From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: vendredi 11 novembre 2016 15:50
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Bulk] RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Antenna Mystery

MAROCCHINO in Italian, MAROCAIN in French, MARROQUÌ (?) in Spanish (sorry we do not know the other Mediterranean languages names of the "TRIATIC STAY").

It has origin on boats with typical gaff sails of the Moroccan coasts. Bearing in mind that the "Moroccan Coast" in the past was the coast from Tunisia to Morocco today and before that the same sea area was known as Libya.

In that time, an ordinary gaff rigged sail boat had the mainmast and foremast with jib(s).

Moroccans sailors noticed that a boat with two masts and jibs, when riding high seas, due to the natural sagging of the hull, was working the two masts and their sails unevenly. To overcome the inconvenience, they thought to integrate the two masts using crossing lines that did not disturb the natural function of the sails but that allowed the effort to be divided more or less evenly over all maneuvers.

Considering that at the time the main mast was aft, actually the "marocchino/marocain/marroquì" was born as a "spring stay", but today everybody only uses the term "triatic stay", in our knowledge.

There is not notice about the year of the beginning of the use of the "marocchino" but  "triatic stay" appeared in the English language only around the middle of 19th.

Best Regards,

Daniela & Fernando

s/y Nefeli SM #38, currently in Rodney Bay - St. Lucia

On 09 Nov 2016, at 21:42, 'Jean Boucharlat' jean.boucharlat@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

I am (very much) an amateur when it comes to boats and must admit that I am baffled by our use , in French, of the “marocain” word (also spelled “maroquin”) to designate a triatic stay. My bafflement comes from the fact that the better known Morocan boats were the “Galère” (Galley in English) and the “Chebec”, both two masted, like schooners, but neither one of them rigged with a “Marocain”.

If anyone has an answer I’m interested to read it, to the extent that it doesn’t bore other members of the forum.

Concerning your small antenna on the mizzen, I had one installed by the yard on my SM 232 in order to, hopefully, have a spare one in case the main mast would collapse. Maybe the yard kept installing them on subsequent SMs.

Jean Boucharlat

Formerly SM 232