Re: 175 Amp Leece-Neville Alternator on Yanmar

sailor63109@...

I found the problem!  There was a plastic connector (the type with set screws that clamp on the wire) that had fatigued and broken.  Wasn't obvious until I unwrapped the black electrical tape that held the wire in bundles.  I replaced it with proper crimp connectors.

I don't think this type of screw/clamp connector is correct for stranded wire. I believe it's made for solid conductors.  When the screw binds down onto the stranded wire it must damage them and provides a sharp place for the wire to fatigue against.

Duane