Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New sails

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Kent,

Good for you, but you are the minority on this issue. I have talked to too many SM owners that have regrets. I did say that I had no personal knowledge...and that is because I would not do it.

I did not even get into why in my previous posting. We have sailed BeBe 40,000 miles and around the world. I cannot think of one time that I regretted not having vertical battens. Even if there were a benefit and no downside, what does the benefit get you, unless you are racing. I know no SM owner that is racing. They are all cruising and most are world cruising.

There are times that I regretted not having a cutter rig like a 54, 55, etc., but those times were not enough for me to consider modifying BeBe or buying a 54, 55, etc.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill.  I have heard you say before that you wouldn't use vertical battens with our in mast furling.  I've had mine for 8 years and have had no problems furling them or with chafing of the sails or pockets.  The battens are 1/4" thick and 1" wide.  I can furl without problems even when the wind isn't on the nose by rolling it up so that the battens are on the outside of the roll (so that the battens don't have to go past the edge of the slot in the mast...if on a port tack I furl in the direction that rolls the sail onto the port side of the foil...there is plenty of room for the battens to clear the slot.)

I lost a batten once, but the bottom of the pocket was not sewn properly.  Other than that I've had no problems at all.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243