Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New sails

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Kent,

Absolutely a sailmaker can add a foam luff to an existing sail.  I did it myself to a jib on my old boat.

I had a jib where instead of foam, a pocket was made with sailcloth and lengths of line were sewn in to add the bulk needed for proper shaped furling. Also worked well.  Maybe even better.

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Nov 16, 2016, at 15:32, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill, or anyone, do you know if the foam luff can be added to an existing sail?  I fit your description perfectly. "I see a lot of SM with new sails and the owner omitted this option, but complains about furled sail shape."  I don't remember the foam being an option when I bought my sails.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243