Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New sails

James Alton

Ian, Linda and the many others that responded to my questions about new sails..

   Thanks to all for the great input.  After sleeping on all of the information, I find myself drawn back to the original design concept of a 150 Genoa,  it just makes a lot of sense.  It just seems like the go to sail  the planned downwind passages using the twin poles along with a ballooner.  The addition of foam or some other bulking material to the luff to enhance the reefing qualities makes a lot of sense.  I have seen the permanent creases due to stretching that are apparently caused by rolling a shaped sail onto a straight extrusion and then loading that sail.  I don’t see how the 150 would be a good choice reefed as a storm sail and I would like to have aboard a smaller nicely shaped easy to tack jib for windward sailing and higher winds that would be more suitable as a storm sail. So it seems that I will just need to make some room to store one of these sails while the other is in use.  I wonder if by using the Hydranet if the 150 can be made a bit lighter so as to be easier to change with the understanding that the heavier smaller 100-120 would replace it for the expected parts of the trip where the winds will be strong?  Yes, there would be times when sailing through an acceleration zone etc. where I might be caught with the 150 in too much wind so I would need to be careful to not make the sail too light. A lot of the weight of my old 150 seemed to be in the sun cover.  Are there lighter UV covers available?

   I have a question about running twin sails on my Maramu using the twin slot extrusion.  It concerns me a lot having the need to lower the ballooner to furl due to the possible need to quickly turn the boat back upwind…  The concept of being able to furl both the 150 and the Ballooner seems worthy of adding to the boat from a safety standpoint if nothing else.  I was wondering if anyone has ever used a halyard running from the furler head to the furler tack attachment to hoist the ballooner and whether this work in lieu of the snap ratchet upgrade?  I am envisioning a continuous halyard line of small diameter using a small block at each end(high strength Spectra perhaps) that would roll up with the two sails.  The ballooner is so light and easy to raise on my boat that I don’t see why this could not work but what do you think?   The only other option seems to be to hoist both sails together on the same halyard which would be a mess dropping both at the same time, probably as the wind is coming up…

   Ian and Linda,  Yes, I have seen the Santorins and think that they are lovely boats!  From a distance it is sometimes hard for me to tell them from a SM.  It is interesting to look at the various designs and to see the evolution of these boats.

Best,

James  Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Arbatax,  Italy

On Nov 17, 2016, at 5:09 AM, Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James
The Santorin is a scaled down SM minus some kit because it has less room eg gen set, freezer, washing machine etc....
So the rig is identical including the triple groove foil and furler with the snap ratchet for the ballooner.

The foam luff... Because of the 'shaped' cut of the Genoa, when it furls the centre section does not wrap as tightly as the top and bottom. So the centre bulges more, leaves creases across the sail and does not drive as efficiently.
Three strips of foam padding(in gradually shorter lengths) are stitched in down the luff. As the sail furls this new 'bulge' gathers more of the centre of the sail giving a better shape that drives better in stronger winds.

As Bill says, it's an omission that should be corrected.

Ian and Linda

'Ocean Hobo' SN96