Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] What to do with the hole...

James Studdart

Hi Bill,
Any chance you could put a photo of those traps online? We've had both the odd sound in the pipe (when the generator is running for us) and wind blowing through and into the heads. I would love to solve both once and for all.

Cheers,
James
SeaBean SM344
Cape Verde

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 11:18 AM Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

For those of you having problems with noises from a P79 in-hull transducer…  have you checked to be sure that the level of the propylene glycol in the housing is sufficient?  My transducer does make audible sound when it is in my hand, but that goes away completely when it is in the housing and submerged in the glycol.

Also, on the drain noises in the forward head: The former owners of Harmonie fixed that as a side effect of fixing another issue with the drains.  They noticed that when the wind blew the right way, it blew into the passive engine room vent, and ended up pushing odors from the engine room and bilge sump back up into the heads.  They fixed it by fabricating simple traps from three elbows where the drains dumped into the bilge sump.  No more bilge stink in the head no matter the wind direction.  The same installation also keeps the drain lines from “gurgling” with small pressure changes or boat movements.

A minor, and completely reversible, tweak to the Amel installation that we have not seen any downside to.

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie

Fort Lauderdale, FL

“Ships and men rot in port."

On Nov 16, 2016, at 06:39, 'Herbert Lackner' herbert@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,  we have also the noise from the greywater sink in the foreward head, but only when motoring at a certain RPM. When we got the boat I was looking for a pump that „runs dry“ but could of course not find one…, then we found out that it is just a special frequency that starts the noise,  small amount of water stops it immediately...

The P79 sound is not very loud, at the beginning I could hardly hear it. But is is like this drop of water that falls on the head every minute – when you start to hear it you are waiting for the next tick and that drives me crazy J

It gets louder when in deep water (frequency change) and more silent in shallow waters.  There is absolutely no sound from the two echo sounders that I have in „Through hulls“, the B&G and the DST800 that I use.

Unfortunately there is no switch for turning the P79 on or off and it is stated in the documentation that it must not be disconnected/connected from the plotter when the plotter is powered on – so diconneting/connecting requires plotter Off/On.  That is the reason why I disconnected it and have it only as a redundancy system (number 3 J).  But maybe I find a way to isolate it then I will leave  it on and watch the fishfinder Screen until a fish pops up

Herbert

KALI MERA, SN120, still on the hard in Trinidad but in the water again in two weeks