Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New sails

James Alton

Alan,

   Yes, an inner forestay would be a great solution to hank on a storm jib.    Sueno did come with a staysail.  The staysail however was flown using only a halyard which exited just below the 2nd set of spreaders  (no actual stay)  so I cannot imagine this arrangement being satisfactory in any real wind.  There was also no provision for aft support of the spar at this location, running backs etc. so I would also be concerned about that aspect.  Can you tell me how your inner forestay is set up and if your spar has running backs or some other aft support?

   It sounds like you have a good system for tacking the 150 even with the inner forestay.  90 degree tacks is pretty good for a cruising boat with the sheeting to the rail!

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Arbatax, Italy

On Nov 18, 2016, at 4:32 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We have to do this on Elyse as we have an inner forestay.

Just a bit more extreme than Danny does, we have to furl in about 70% to get the genoa to pass the inner stay, but using autotack on the auto pilot its easy.
We start to furl in the genoa, hit the +1,+10 buttons and start the tack, by the time we are head to wind the genoa is in 70% and there's enough still out to pull us through the wind, and then sheet on the new winch, off the old winch and unfurl and sheet in at the same time, done....
It took a bit of practice but now its no drama...
Last time we were in New Caledonia we tacked like this 13 times to get to Ile des Pins in a SE breeze, nice crisp 90 degree tacks....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437