Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New sails

James Alton

Ian,

   After I sent my last response to you I realized that I had made a mistake.  You did say sitting with your feet in the bow locker and I said standing…  The sitting position sounds like a good way to brace and I should be about the right height as well..I will give it a try.

   There is an eye at the tack fitting on Sueno with a lot of room to put several wraps of perhaps 1/8” line to secure the sail, so it would be quite easy to tension the luff of the sail in that manner.  That is a good idea to leave the tack loose initially and should make the tensioning easier.  I can’t imagine that the sail weights even 10 lbs. but there is some drag due to the wind load when hoisting.  I am glad to hear that you think that this might work,  I don’t loose much if it doesn’t.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Arbatax,  Italy

On Nov 18, 2016, at 4:38 AM, Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James
Sitting with feet in the bow locker gives me a better downward pull on the halliard. It also means I can ensure the leach slides up the groove without snagging any sailcloth. Plus it's comfortable and leaves Linda in the cockpit to tend the sheets and steering.
Your plan may well work. Just an addition - I don't fasten the foot of the ballooner until last. It ensures the snap fastening engages properly, and then I tension the foot which is easy to do even with the boat on course and sail full. There is a rectangular s/s loop on top of the furled to thread the down haul through a few times to get a good purchase.
I'm not on the boat yet to send a photo, but if you fastened a snap shackle to the same place you could fasten your up haul loop to it and tension the foot afterwards.
I don't know if the Maramu has this fitting, but it shouldn't be too difficult to have it welded on maybe?

Good luck.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96