Re: Santorin with D2-55 Engine - Range

Ian Park

Trevor

I haven’t done a detailed analysis of fuel consumption. We have the Perkins Prima 50 on our Santorin. I believe we get around 2.75 litres and hour, but our engine use varies greatly from running at 1500 revs for the the belt driven watermaker pump, to motor sailing at 1800 revs, or punching a head sea and wind at 2,200 revs. We try to avoid the last one!

I have worked on a range of 700 nm on a passage, and it seems to hold true. Because of the shaft alternator we find all our electrical demands are met when sailing above 5 knots. We filled up in Cape Verde before crossing the Atlantic and lasted the next 4 months before refuelling before lift out, we didn’t need to run the engine for battery recharging on the whole crossing. Because the Santorin lacks power hungry stuff like washing machines, freezer and air con the demands on the batteries are lower than the SM (hence no gen set as standard on the SN). Maybe other Santorin owners can chip in, but we use more fuel in Island hopping than on an ocean passage. We carried 100 litres of spare diesel which wasn’t required (but was reassuring).

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Sent from Mail for Windows 10