Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>
Hello Bill & al,
We did something different; we installed a second independent “sea chest” serving the needs of AC, genset and Dessalator. As our new AC is Webasto, it needed significantly more water. So we went for a 2 inch feed from the hull and sized the feeder pipes according to the manufacturer recommendations for each service.
We also removed the Original “seachest” sea cock and to my amazement, the hole had been wilfully partially obstructed to reduce the entry size to .75 inch….
New components are SS except for the water strainers which are bronze if I recall (I’d have to look). We also added a 1 1/2 inch connector line with shut off valve to ensure feed to the main engine should its strainer become blocked. The work was done in Majorca by Peter Kuklok, (Yacht Concept Majorca) the best marine engineer I’ve ever met.
We now have a fully safe dual system.
SY Eleuthera, SM007
Lanzarote… waiting for the “trades” to set… looks like a long wait in store.