[Amel Yacht Owners] Strange Battery charging…

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon,

During the 3 days power outage in Puerto Rico, I noted my batteries were getting weak…
Would not fully recharge.
Accidentally, I reset the Link 10… but it kept the setting, just now showing 100% instead of the 90%.

Due to the lack of wind, I mostly motor to Tortola, then drift for 6 hours to wait for customs and emigration to open, again I noted the batteries were weak (freezer compressor stop).

I have now been at the marina for a month, and something very strange is happening:

The first week, instead to get the usual charge of 0.2 amp/hour on the Link 10, I had 1 Amp hour.
The second week, was over 2 amp/hour charge
The 3rd week, I had 3 Amp/hour charge.
I thought my 40 Amp battery charger could have an issue, so switch to the 60 Amp and still higher charge.
Now I am showing 8 Amp/hour charge ?!?
So the 100% has been reach for 3 weeks and is showing an excess of 470 Amp (above my 100%) which is not possible as my battery bank is only 400 Amp (8 batteries 100 amp each, 4 x 2 in series).

I wish it could be true…
Any idea?
This weekend, going to go back to the smaller charger to see what it charges.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Harbor View Marina, Tortola, BVI