Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Gearbox for outhaul stopped working

Graham Boyd

I also did this job on my SM140. I got 2 new gear boxes from Amel
which on the second lot of postage were the correct ones. Like Udo
getting the shaft out was rather tricky. I replaced both the outhaul
and the mainsail furler gear boxes. The out haul one had packed up
completely, and I changed the furler one "on spec". As I removed it
it fell to bits due to corrosion! I too am now looking for new sails.

Graham
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Udo" <udo@...> wrote:

I just did exactly that repair last week. I chose to order a motor
and
gear box assembly from Amel (approx. Euro 1,500). It would have
been a
nice easy swap out, except the shaft would not come out of the old
gear
box. We had to press it out in the shop. After that it was pretty
straight forward. The gears were well worn in the old gear box and
I am
currently looking into rebuilding it to keep as a spare. I also had
another spare motor rebuilt and that was pretty easy. If possible I
would go with new parts from Amel. I also chose to go with a new
sheave
on top of the shaft, since the old one looked pretty worn and the
outhaul line was slipping. That led me to a new outhaul line and
now I
am thinking of getting a new mainsail because the old one looks bad
compared to all the other nice parts.

Udo

Cloud Seven

SM # 50