Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Wearing out bearing

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Bill,

Don't send a picture with Speed sleeve, just describe in details Speedi sleeve installation process for our application.

Vladimir
SM #345

Vladimir
202 258 1916

On Dec 4, 2016 10:38, "Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill R,

I don’t know about the Amel “chrome plated” bushing, but I can suggest that--in general--chrome plating is not a great solution for hardening a shaft under a lip seal.   Yes, it is hard and doesn’t wear.  And it LOOKS shiny and smooth, but over time develops tiny cracks that make its surface rough at a micro-level that causes the rubber lip of the seals to wear faster. So the seals don’t wear the shaft, the shaft wears the seals.  Might be better than plain bronze, but not a perfect choice.

I wonder why this part is made of bronze? It is a marginal material as far as hardness under a lip seal.  Ok, it’s not really marginal, it is quite a bit softer than seal maker specifications. Not about to change it, but I do wonder what the reasoning was?

I don’t think anybody has suggested that sleeves should be added to a new bearing to eliminate water intrusion. You are absolutely right, that would NOT be a good use for them. If seals leak while following the recommended service interval with a new bearing, installation technique is suspect, and sleeves will NOT help.

Sleeves CAN be used to rehabilitate a worn out wearing out bearing to get longer life from it.  That’s what they are made for, and thats what they are good at.

I do not believe they significantly change the service interval for the lower c-drive shaft seal. Based on Harmonie’s maintenance data even if the sleeves are not worn, the seals themselves need to be replaced at the recommended interval.

They do go all the way on without cutting or machining. They should NOT be altered in any way.  I can post a picture of a sleeved bearing if people really don’t believe it.  Unfortunately I don’t have one that needs sleeving so can’t post the process, but I don’t remember any magic, just followed instructions.

All that said….this really is a minor deal.  It’s €150 for a new bearing.  It’s $70 for two speedi sleeves.  If anybody has ANY doubt whatsoever, just call Amel and get a new bearing and throw it away with the seals after 800 hours. We all know THAT works!

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
On the Hard, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Splashing Wednesday….  we hope!
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Dec 4, 2016, at 06:36, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Eric,

That is the VERY REASON that I have not tried Speedi Sleeves. I assume the
reason for using the sleeves is to get longer life out of the wear bushing.
Since I service the C Drive and Bow Thruster every two years when hauled
out for antifouling, I cannot justify adding a Speedi Sleeve or two. If you
add Speedi Sleeves because you want to  eliminate water intrusion, I
suggest that you should review the service  procedure. When it's done
correctly, there will not be intrusion.

Now, that said, Amel accidentally shipped what I believe is a test
prototype of a wear bushing with chrome plating where the seals ride on the
bushing. I have not been able to get the story behind this chrome plated
wear bushing from Amel. The person who has this part is going to try it
shortly, but it will probably be a year or two before he has any reportable
results.

Does anyone in the Group have any inside information on this partially
chrome plated wear bushing? Maybe he shouldn't try it?

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Dec 3, 2016 6:59 PM, "'sailormon' kimberlite@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

*The excess sleeve that hangs over the wearing out bearing can easily be
removed with a dremel tool. Takes a minute.*

*Also I was able to get the two sleeves to butt up against each other ,
Unfortunately I forgot how.*

*Why not just buy a few new ones from Amel they are only 149 euros each?*

*Fair Winds*

*Eric*

*Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376*