Re: Electronics Needs

Stephan Regulinski

Frank,

(1) SSB: We have an Icom 710 and have been very happy with it. We
had Amel install it (below the radar display in the spot that is
otherwise a drawer)with the whip antenna on the aft and the tuner in
the lazarette. Amel does a lot of these installations and they do a
good job.

(2) Sat Phone: we had a mini M and were not happy with the cost.
It was too easy to run up bills on the order of $1000/month. We
removed it and replaced it with a Pactor modem attached to the Icom
so we could do email over shortwave. By the way, I do not recommend
the stainless steel mounting system that Amel sells for the mini M.
Ours cracked. We replaced it with an arch on which we mounted the
mini M antenna (until we removed the system) and the wind
generator.

(3) Source: We bought our Icom, the Mini M and the Pactor modem all
from HF Onboard. Don, who runs the place is outstanding. When I
last spoke to him (around the time we bought the Pactor modem), he
reported that I was the last person to buy a mini M from him!
Apparently, pricing on the Iridium airtime and the Iridium phones is
substantially better than that on the mini M.

(4) Second autopilot drive unit. We bought the second drive unit
(chain) from Amel. It turned out to be worth the investment as we
had a failure on the aft drive unit while underway (Kingdom of Tonga
to New Zealand). At this point, we had about 35,000 miles on the
boat. Drive units will wear, and need service like everything else
(our linear drive was serviced in New Zealand and continues to
function fine).

Stephan
Delos (SMM 303)

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Global Scanner
<globalscanner44@...> wrote:

With some major blue water cruising planned for later this year
I am currently looking to fit the following in my SM2000.

I have tried Amel's electronics installers but had no response.
I am looking for recommendations / advice from members on the
following as electronics is not my bag.

SSB Radio

a) the best radio to go for ( UK licence )

b) type of aerial to use and where to locate it

Satellite Phone

What make/ type to go for in terms of features, charge rates -
is it the 'Mini M' ?

F/wd facing echopilot - through hull sonar

In members experience how good/effective are these ? Best to go
for ?

2nd Raymarine ST7000 Autopilot

to include, fluxgate, computer, rotary chain drive, control
panel, and rudder angle with switch to ensure both systems cannot be
on at same time.

In members experience do I need to go for this second autohelm;
how reliable is the principle ST7000?

My need for internet and e-mail at reasonable speed is also
critical in the above considerations

Any help on some or all of the above will be much appreciated.

Frank Newton
Boat # 321