Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hot Water Heater Failure

Mark Erdos

Hi James,

Sorry to hear of your woes. This summer I installed a bright red LED at the helm. The LED is bright enough to see in daylight. It is parallel wired to the red bilge light on the 24v panel. It was very easy to install and allows the person on watch to notice when the bilge pump kicks on.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Power-Indicator-Pilot-Signal/dp/B00DUW2SBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481472610&sr=8-1&keywords=24v+led+red+light

When underway, we make it a habit to turn off the 24v fresh water pump. If there is a leak anywhere in the fresh water pressurized system it will not pump water into the bilge. We do this because we have heard too many times from sailing friends stories similar to yours. Another option would be to install a green LED at the helm and connect it to the fresh water light on the 24v panel.

Another item you may want to add to your spare parts is a couple of squares of rubber gasket material. This can be very handy when in a pinch. Of course, you will need a very sharp blade to make gaskets.

Hope this helps

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000