Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hot Water Heater Failure

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>

Good advice all. I just now set up a bilge pump timer alarm. It alarms when the pump runs for more than 5 minutes total. I also have the option of alarming on counts, but sometimes the pump cycles a lot if you are taking showers or running the washing machine. The timer is what seems to work for me.
I now prescribe to the "Water Pump Off" unless actually needed philosophy.
Thanks for the excellent comments.
Bill, I noticed I am moored right next to BeBe in Francis Bay. Is that you or the new owner?
Jamie

s/v Phantom Amel 54 #044

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:56 PM, "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hi all,
I'll come in on this too to tell our got off lightly story. Within months of beginning our adventures in 2009 we went ashore. On return we heard the bilge pump running. There was a pin hole (quite a big pin hole) in the water heater and we had left the fresh water pump on. Had we not returned when we did 900 liters of water would have been pumped into the engine room. Had the bilge pump failed for any reason.........
Since then we have a rule that the water pump is off when we are not using water, any where any time. To have a rule that it is off sometimes invites forgetfulness.
We have added a bilge buzzer and are pleased to have it. The cruising world is awash with bilge flooding stories (pun intended) and adding the buzzer was a cheap insurance.
Cheers
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl