Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Hot Water Heater Failure

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>

Bill, good point. The excessive heat is likely the reason the primary gasket carbonized when my water heater dumped.
Jamie Wendell

s/v Phantom Amel 54 #044

On Monday, December 12, 2016 5:08 PM, "Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

My suggestion (and it is worth exactly what you paid for it) is no matter if it came with a tempering valve from the factory or not, it should have one. 80C water is not good for most flexible hoses and NEVER for possible contact with people.

Tempering valves are an easy addition and are used on many household hot water systems. They are readily available from plumbing supply houses and are easy to plumb into an older tank.

The "basic" model of the Isotherm is still available with out the tempering valve. The standard Isotherm thermostat is not adjustable, it is set at 75C (167F).  That's REALLY hot coming out of the tap.

Bill Kinney

On Dec 12, 2016, at 15:11, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Duane,
The other Bill is correct, however the valve he speaks of did not start showing up in Isotemp production inventory until about 2006-2007.
Your Isotemp water heater probably does not have the mixing valve that mixes cold water with the hot water at the Isotemp water heater, thus adjusting the temperature of the engine heated or electric heated water.
Your shower taps have a temperature adjustment for a normal range. If you press the button you will find that you can adjust colder or hotter. I think this will help you.
Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Dec 12, 2016 3:55 PM, "Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There is supposed to be a bypass valve on the outlet of the ISO temp heater. It mixes cold water in to temper the very hot water in the tank. It is an important safety device. When heated with engine water the tank can get up to 180F (82C) that's way too hot for domestic water!

Bill

On Dec 12, 2016, at 14:42, sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com> wrote:

Our Isotemp water heater provides extremely hot water, to the point it could burn you.  I have looked and don't see anywhere the temperature can be set (like a residential water heater).  Is that high temp normal or does it indicate the thermostat has failed?  It's been like that since we bought the boat.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477