Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Servicing The Outhaul Gearbox & Bearins

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

We have also had the out haul motor fail due to a
brush welding itself to the housing. We could find no
24 volt brushes so we have ordered a new motor from a
shop here in NH. Once we install and test it we will
share the results. The price is about $450 with the
remachineing of the housing as the Leroy Somers motor
is no longer made?
Eric is right on about taking the motor off. As far
as paint goes we wire brushed the housing washed it
with white vinigar and applied deck paint to it. We
shall see.

best to all.
Richard SM 209
--- amelliahona <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Eric on Kimberlite wrote:

"It is easy to remove the vertical shaft from the
outhaul.

1 Remove the screw from the arm that goes into the
Anderson winch on the
boom outhaul line.

2 Remove the nut and washers from the bottom of the
outhaul motor shaft.

3 The only thing that is now holding the shaft in
place is the rust on the
shaft and a key, which sits into a keyway in

the gearbox.

4 Use a very long STEEL, not stainless, bolt screw
it into the bottom of the
motor shaft.

5 Use a very heavy hammer and drive the shaft up and
out of the gearbox.

Fair Winds,

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite"

I have posted two photos to a new folder entitled
"Outhaul Service" for
parts reference.

Eric and others who have done this this service, (I
have not), I have a
couple of questions and would appreciate some
clarifications:

a. To access the shaft do you remove the bottom
panel of the gearbox?

b. In step 2 above you mention removing the screws
from the bottom of
the "motor shaft". Are you referring to the panel
on the bottom of the
gearbox housing that is held in place with 4 screws?

c. In step 4 above you mention the "motor shaft'.
The motor shaft is
horizontal is it not? Are you describing here
threading the bolt into the
vertical shaft that passes upward (vertically) to
the Anderson Winch?

d. What holds the shaft into the Anderson Winch
head? Is it pressed
in?

e. Is there a bearing pressed into the boom through
which the vertical
shaft passes? If so how difficult is it to remove?

f. What material/metal is the gearbox made of. The
paint is completly
flaking off of mine. Is it aluminum or some
aluminum aloy? Any
suggestions for re-priming/painting?

Thanks for some clarification as I anticipate doing
this service next time
I am on the boat.

Regards, Gary Silver
Amel SM2000 Hull # 335