Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Pickling watermaker

David Wallace

We also do not pickle our water maker, having been dissatisfied with both SMBSulphite and propylene glycol. We flush with own freshwater for 45-60 sec (about 8 liters) after every use. For extended periods without use, we flush with 200 liters after removing the pre filters. We have left the system for 6  months over the summer in the Sea of Cortez with no problems on return. It does take about 20 minutes to give satisfactory water after the extended inactivity. We’ve done this for 7 years now on these membranes (we have 2 40” ones).

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Puerto Escondido, Sea of Cortez, Mx

On Oct 22, 2016, at 11:23 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Tm with you on this Eric,
I approached the Watermaker with fear and trembling. How to care for it, how to clean it how to pickle it. When to pickle it. How long could you leave it before you should pickle it.
I am grateful to the advice from this group which lead me to the fresh water back flush. Now I just back flush with fresh water after every use. There are times I leave it untouched for two months or more when I am away from the boat. I just start it up, run to waste for a few minutes and all good. The membranes are still good. 120 ppm. The pre filter does need changing periodically but that would apply anyway.
It is some years since we put any outside water into our tanks. Got to avoid introducing chlorine. Another good bit of advice from this group.
Cheers
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl