DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

VLADIMIR SONSEV

I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"