Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

Bill,    Thanks. That is also what I was shown in La Rochelle. As you say, care is needed not to scratch the side, but it does work.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Hyeres

On 21 Dec 2016, at 15:41, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ian,

If you look in the FILES section you will find Wear Bushing and Seal Replacement instructions by Amel. I posted this several months ago.

The instructions in French and English say to use a flat blade screwdriver and pry each seal out one at a time. It does not fully describe what I saw Jean and Franc at Amel Martinique do. I will try to describe what I saw:
Using a flat blade skinny screwdriver with a shaft if 10-12", position the blade end at nine o'clock and the handle end at three o'clock. Push the blade end under the first seal, then using the shaft hub, briskly push forward on the handle end of the screw driver and the seal pops out. There is some art involved because if you push the blade end too far you will scratch the inside wall. Jean and Franc were very careful to smooth the inside wall of the seal cavity so that the outside of the seal would not leak water. They were using 600 sandpaper and a soft cloth, cleaning as much as they sanded.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
Currently St John USVI