Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Steve,

My first time I was helped by an "expert mechanic" who knew Amels...NOT!

He had 2 or 3 seal pullers, all of which broke. After about 3 hours the prop was off and another 3 hours and the seals were out.

Before my next haulout I received very well-written procedure from Gary Silver whose Amel knowledge I very much respect. I have used his original instructions since. His instructions call for drilling a small hole in the seal, then screwing a metal screw into the hole and pulling on the metal screw.

So, I was initiated to seal pulling devices by probably the wrong person, who BTW, called himself an expert and charged $90 an hour for 7 hours for a job that takes me about 1-2 hours. It was a great education, but unfortunately I developed certain prejudices from it.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Dec 22, 2016 7:58 AM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Do you have this puller, and how well did it work at pulling your seals out? Seems like an easy solution if it will work in our application.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Or...  use a real seal puller...

Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive

Much easier and less likely to damage the seal housing than using screwdrivers or other improvised solutions.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Hollywood FL