MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

Vladimir
SM #345

On Dec 22, 2016 7:55 AM, "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Vladimir, You wrote that your SM is a 1992, we were with you in the BVIs when you told us that you were going to look at it , Diane and I remember it being much newer. If it is a 1992 , I have an entire dessalator you can have ,it came out of a 1994 . I think its rated at 60 lt./hr.
Merry Christmas,
Pat & Diane

-----Original Message-----
From: Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Dec 21, 2016 5:13 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your advise. I will definitely consider Electromax. It looks and sound good. Probubly Canadian company AC motor is designed for 60 Hz AC. Amel generator make 50 Hz AC.  Did Electromax give you 50 Hz motor?
Vladimir
SM #345

On Dec 21, 2016 12:51 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Vladimir,

When I purchased my 1992 SM, it had the original watermaker in non working condition. It was going to be very expensive to repair, and I wanted higher capacity, so I decided to replace it with a different model. My criteria in selection were at least 30gph, built with mostly off the shelf and readily available components, and a reasonable purchase price. After considerable research, I purchased a watermaker from Electromax in Canada. I purchased it at the 2014 Annapolis boat show for $4600 delivered to my door in Florida. It is rated at 30gph, and built with non proprietary parts. Unlike the DESSALATOR, most functions are manual, and there is very little to go wrong. I do have the optional automatic solenoid valve installed which allows me to flush the membrane when we are not on the boat The kit arrived with plumbing fittings, hoses, filters, control panel, high pressure pump, low pressure pump, and the membrane. The process of ripping out the old system, and installing the new took me about a day and half. I was able to put the new control panel in the same place as the old with some simple modifications. Also, I've had great technical support from Electromax on the phone when needed.

We started using the watermaker last season when we reached the Caribbean, and have made about 1500 gallons to date with no issues. With the salinity and water temperature in this area, we seem to output between 32 to 34 gph, even though it's rated at 30gph. To each his own, but I greatly prefer a simple manual design with very little to go wrong, and components which are easy to find in most parts of the world.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures, and I'd be happy to help. Good luck on getting it figured out.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"